Hart County Man Charged in Shooting of Deer Hunter

Authorities search field Friday where hunter was shot.

Authorities search field Friday where hunter was shot.

A Hart County man is expected to have his first court appearance Monday afternoon to face multiple charges in connection with a shooting while allegedly hunting deer illegally.

It happened Thursday evening on property off Elrod Ferry Road near U.S. 29 North/Anderson Highway.  Hart County Sheriff Mike Cleveland said the victim, identified as Brenn Stone, 28, was shot while hunting on his property.

“Stone was taken to AnMed Medical Center in Anderson where he underwent four hours of surgery,” Cleveland said. “The man who shot him left, knowing he had shot Stone. Had he (Stone) not had his cell phone, he would have bled to death right there in the bottom of the field. The bullet went through his arm and into his abdomen where it did a lot of damage.”

Cleveland called in assistance from agents with DNR Law Enforcement and agents with the Georgia Bureau of Investigation, along with the Georgia State Patrol who used helicopters along with a tracking dog to locate the suspect.

That suspect, Cleveland said, was found later Friday hiding out in the Reed Creek community.

“We went looking for him after we took the warrants for him. We knew who we were looking for,” he said. “He was found in the upper part of the Reed Creek Community waiting on a ride to take him out of the county. We got him, we got the rifle used in the shooting and other evidence. It’s just a real good case.”

Arrested Friday afternoon was 28-year old Henry Harris, address unknown.  Authorities allege Harris was hunting illegally when he shot Stone and then fled the scene.  Cleveland said Harris faces multiple charges.

“He’s charged with everything from felony assault, failing to render aid, hunting without a license, hunting without a vest, to reckless discharge of a firearm,” he said.

Cleveland said there could also be more charges forthcoming.  Harris has refused to talk with investigators about the incident and remains in the Hart County Detention Center.

“We intend to ask for no bond at his hearing Monday because we believe he is a flight risk,” Cleveland said Sunday.

Cleveland said Stone, meantime, was moved Sunday to a regular room and is expected to recover.